In 1788, future U.S. president Andrew Jackson spent several months in Jonesborough awaiting a caravan. Jackson lodged at the cabin belonging to Major Christopher Taylor, located about a mile outside of town. Built around 1777 and subsequently in 1974, this cabin was removed from its original spot and reconstructed in the town's park. According to local legend, Jackson's ghost occasionally appears in the cabin's vicinity. The ghost supposedly walks up to the front door and disappears into the building. The ghost has also been seen walking down the street, in the direction of the old courthouse.